[lbo-talk] Whereas Lance is attacked by one of David Horowitz's minions

Lance Murdoch lancemurdoch at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 21:56:20 PST 2005

He wishes I read the book from cover to cover. I took it off a shelf in Barnes and Noble, read Werner Cohn's chapter (which is obvious from the review, I even quote him from the book), skimmed the rest of it, saw that there was nothing new there (Chomsky is a holocaust denier! Chomsky supported the Khmer Rouge! Chomsky is a self-hating Jew who hates Israel!), and put it back on the shelf.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=17506

Chomsky's Book Burners By Tom Nichols FrontPageMagazine.com | March 30, 2005

[...]

But to judge from some of the reactions to the appearance of The Anti-Chomsky Reader, the anthology edited by David Horowitz and Peter Collier (and to which I am a contributor), Chomsky's defenders seem just a tad jumpy about any effort to scrutinize the work of what is supposed to be one of America's most important thinkers.

I found several readers engaged in what are sometimes called Amazon.com "Star Wars." There are currently 92 reviews posted, with a good portion of them critical of the book, and their tone and content are revealing.

[...]

A reader named Lance Murdoch seems to at least have read the table of contents, but it's not clear he read the book. "Thankfully," he writes, "this is nothing but mindless mud-slinging, hyperbole and meat for the dittoheads, with no real critique of Chomsky, but what else would one expect from Horowitz?" Again, how about the rest of us, Lance? (And how did Rush Limbaugh's listeners get dragged into this?)

Some readers were a little more honest.