[lbo-talk] Iraq: Degrees of Not Knowing

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Thu Mar 31 07:33:42 PST 2005

LRB | Vol. 27 No. 7

dated 31 March 2005

Degrees of Not Knowing

Rory Stewart

Does anyone know how to govern Iraq?

What We Owe Iraq: War and the Ethics of Nation Building by Noah Feldman

Blinded by the Sunlight: Surviving Abu Ghraib and Saddam’s Iraq by Matthew McAllester

The Fall of Baghdad by Jon Lee Anderson

The Freedom: Shadows and Hallucinations in Occupied Iraq by Christian Parenti

"The gap between the way foreigners talk about Iraq and the reality is monstrous. Our political vocabulary - 'rogue states', 'nation-building intervention', 'WMD', 'neo-imperialism', 'terrorism' - is useless. Does anyone know how to govern Iraq, or what the country will look like in five years' time, or what effect this will have on the international system? Critics are no better informed than members of the administration. Many authorities on Iraq have spent little or no time there. The most to be hoped for of a foreigner's book published today would be the equivalent of an account of Britain written by a non-English-speaking Arab who had spent 18 months in the country, unable to travel freely. But the generals, the journalists, the academics, the politicians (Iraqi or foreign), the diplomats and the aid workers rarely admit that they have almost no idea what Iraq is like or is going to be like. Everyone is an expert."

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v27/n07/stew01_.html