[lbo-talk] New Imperialism?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Mar 31 08:54:52 PST 2005

Charles:
> On the "contribution" of the periphery to the center's
> prosperity today , I imagine someone ( Walter Rodney , et. al) has argued
> that imperialism restricted and "underdeveloped" the colonies' economic
> development ( cash crops, mono-products), and TODAY ,the result of this
long
> term imperialist action, impoverishes many neo-colonies. By preventing the
> all-around and full development of the colonial economies over the last
200
> years or so, imperialism caused today's relative poverty there.

If their development potential was restricted by European colonialism, which was a relatively late development, then stands to reason that they must have that potential before colonization, no? So the question arises why did not they realize that development potential before they were colonized? At the time of their colonization, most colonized societies were at the stone age and primitive agriculture level of development.

To put it in another perspective, when Africa was finally colonized by Europeans in the 19th century (it was subjected to Arab slave trading colonialism before), it was on average where Europe was some 2000 years ago under the Roman empire. Today, sub-saharn Africa is where Europe was some 200 years ago - a bunch of statelets busy suppressing domestic dissent when not fighting each other. That means that Africa moved ahead for about 1,800 years during the 150 or so year period - not a bad rate of progress, after all.

To avoid any potential misconceptions this posting may cause - my ideas of development heavily draw form those of Jared Diamond - the two key elements in that development are geographical location and access to critical natural resources. They make all the difference in the world. If culture plays any role at all, it is usually negative - by reinforcing life styles that destroy natural resources. Africa and the Americas had the misfortune of getting the short end of the stick in the access to critical resources, but that is another story.

Wojtek