[lbo-talk] New Imperialism? Imperialism has been monopoly

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 31 17:39:35 PST 2005

Before the 1950s, though, there were a lot of other auto makers: Pierce-Arrow, Nash, Premier Motor Corporation, Essex Motors [Detroit], etc. The 1950s may have represented the culimination of US automaker monopolization. But before that, there were definitely more than just a 'big three.' It was a very active, lively market within the US.

I happen to have a book in front of me that contains alot of ads from US auto-makers from the 1940s and prior, going back to about 1890. You'd be amazed how many there were.

-B.