[lbo-talk] Linux, was New Imperialism? Imperialism has been monopoly

tully tully at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 31 23:16:01 PST 2005

On Thursday 31 March 2005 08:51 pm, Andy F wrote:
>It's also lowered people's standards of expectations.
>Reboots from system crashes used to be the realm of
>operating systems not ready for production. They've
>improved a great deal, but they still lag behind
>unix-based systems for reliability.

Exactly right. Linux is far more powerful, stable, and configurable than Windows and nearly as easy to install. CD burnable ISOs are free for the download so the price is right. Unlike windows, the source code is required by license to be freely available, so the operating system can tailored any way desired. Codeweavers.com's Crossover app makes running windows apps a snap and the price is $39. I've been using Slackware 10.0 linux for a year on a 700mhz laptop and I'll never go back.

Microsoft's monopoly days are numbered. Linux shall overcome.

--tully