[lbo-talk] Ciba sets up R&D center in Shanghai

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Sun May 1 10:08:51 PDT 2005

People's Daily Online

Sci-Edu

April 29, 2005

Ciba sets up R&D center in Shanghai

Ciba Specialty Chemicals, a top Swiss corporation, opened its research and development (R&D) center in Shanghai yesterday, its first such facility in China.

Costing US$20 million the center is the latest in Ciba's global research network, which has more than 1,600 employees in 24 locations around the world.

"It is a significant step in the implementation of our strategy to strengthen our presence in China," Armin Meyer, chairman and CEO of Ciba, said yesterday.

"It also reflects Ciba Specialty Chemicals' belief that innovation is the key to profitable and sustainable business growth, everywhere in the world."

The Shanghai center will combine expertise in organic synthesis, physical chemistry, polymer chemistry, photochemistry, and analytical chemistry with application and formulation sciences to create new products and solutions for its customers globally, but particularly in Asia.

Ciba already has three trading companies, six branch offices and 12 production sites in China, which accounted for 7 per cent of its 7 billion Swiss francs (US$5.8 billion) global sales last year.

The Asia-Pacific provides 28 per cent of Ciba's global sales, and its 3,100 employees make up one-sixth of Ciba's worldwide workforce, according to the company's Asian Region President Tuno Kohler.

"The establishment of the Ciba China R&D center in Shanghai will further strengthen our position in China and Asia, and allow Ciba to improve the quality and level of customization of services and products provided to our customers in the region," said Kohler.

The Shanghai center is Ciba's third R&D center in Asia, following Amagasaki, Japan and Mumbai-Gerogaon, India.

Ciba, founded in Basel, Switzerland in 1758 and now listed there and in New York, has a yearly R&D budget of US$240 million.

The company expects to recruit 100 scientists for the Shanghai operation, which covers a 6,000 square meter site in Caohejing High-tech Park.

"In a fast-growing market like China there is always a need for more talented people than there are," Meyer said.

But he is confident about sales in China. Although he declined to disclose targets he cited a yearly growth rate in double-digits.

"That will be growth in all areas of our business."

Source: China Daily

Copyright by People's Daily Online, all rights reserved