[lbo-talk] Is The Bush Admin Social Security Plan Doomed?

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Sun May 1 11:35:32 PDT 2005

At 01:03 PM 5/1/2005, Doug Henwood wrote:
>snitsnat wrote:
>
>>what an excellent way to get rid of it altogether. stigmatize it. In 5-10
>>years, bye-bye to it all. Which is what they want, innit?
>
>Yes, of course that's what they want - or, more precisely, they want it to
>be a minimal welfare program for the very poor. But their strategy for
>getting there seems really fucked. Who in Congress can afford to vote for
>something like that?
>
>Doug

Hmm. Well, it seems to me that, if the Dems are taking the position that eliminating SSI will hurt the poor most, then the Repubs have their backs against the wall. Here they are saying that they're offering a plan to help the poor the most. If they don't vote for it, they'll look like they don't care about the poor at all. In that case, they'd have no choice but to vote for it. Dunno.

kelley