[lbo-talk] Zizek blurbs Bob Avakian

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Sun May 1 11:51:05 PDT 2005

--- Michael Pugliese <michael.098762001 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Marxism and the Call of the Future: Conversations on
> Ethics, History,
> and Politics
> Bob Avakian and Bill Martin
> ". . . so important that it should stand on the
> shelf of everyone who

Does Zizek just give a blurb to anybody who asks for one? This is the guy whose blurb on "Empire" read that it was the contemporary "Communist Manifesto" and then took it back in a "Rethinking Marxism" piece. Are we going to learn a month from now that this book by Avakian "should not stand on the shelf of everyone who..." ?

I must admit that for a good laugh I might want to read the discussion on Kant and Rousseau. Avakian always liked to give his so-called theoretical articles a patina of intellectuality. I can remember one article in either the "Revolutionary Worker" or whatever was the name of their "theoretical" jouranl that was titled something like, "Let us Thoroughly Criticize Plato and Smash the Bourgeois Headquarters". I imagine this was in parallel with the maoist campaign to destroy the remnants of confucianism. There was this strange pidgin of sino-english mixed with dabs of hegelian speak that was so risible. But when you read the stuff it is deep but only as deep as a pile of bullshit.

<<We are at such a point in mankind's evolution where changed conditions invalidate all our policies that have been so successful even in the recent past, and that presumably have constituted the ideal response to a presumably unchanging and unchangeable human condition. No wonder we are stupefied and confused-but our mistake is the same which many cultures have made before us, namely to force a rigid model upon a fluid reality.

Erich Jantsch - "Design for Evolution: Self-Organization and Planning in the Life of Human Systems"