[lbo-talk] Bill Gates in aid of Indian techies

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Mon May 2 08:02:38 PDT 2005

On 04/29/05 23:08, Lance Murdoch wrote:

> The H1B visa supposedly is only for people who have skills which can't
> be found in the United States.
>
> I worked at a Fortune 100 financial company and was friendly with a
> Chinese fellow here on an H1B visa. He told me he had never even seen
> a computer until he came to the United States.

i do not know about china -- though your experience does not match any of the chinese IT professionals i have worked with in the last 13 years in the US -- but though there is some abuse of the H1B program, in my experience, especially in the late 90s, it did bring in people for jobs that could not be filled with local talent (this, afaict, has nothing to do with the difficulty of the jobs, but more to do with the rapid growth of demand during the bubble). part of my experience comes not just from my knowledge of non-USers i worked with, but also my experience trying to hire people for IT jobs.

--ravi