[lbo-talk] Proof if proof be needed that weblogs are a bad idea.

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Mon May 2 08:20:47 PDT 2005

d2 sed: --- Look at the company Marc Cooper's got himself into:

http://www.rogerlsimon.com/mt-archives/2005/04/an_open_letter.php

"An editorial board consisting of Glenn Reynolds, PowerLine, Lawrence Kudlow, Hugh Hewitt, Marc Cooper, Wretchard of the Belmont Club and Tim Blair"

Non-readers of weblogs might not recognise any of these names except Kudlow and Hewitt. ---

hoping no one reads crooked timber? ;-)

maybe the lesson here isn't so much about how blogs are a bad idea as about how marc cooper is a bad idea. back in the day, i worked for an ezine called intellectualcapital.com, whose editor-in-chief was none other than pete (aka pierre) dupont. he was a good guy to work for, to be honest (i mean, shoot, he hired me, pro-labor long-hair leftwingnut that i am), but the most interesting part was the contributing editor list, which included such folks as kate o'beirne and stephen moore right alongside randall kennedy (a horrible writer, btw) and nadine strossen. if i hadn't still been such a left neophyte, i'd have been pushing to get doug in there with us, but as it was i got some good freelancers in for pieces. and i got us out to seattle to cover the wto and protests, and yours truly was our on-the-street guy.

what's my point. my point is that the upside of intellectualcapital was that it wasn't such an echochamber, which is what most blogs have a bad habit of turning into. it had it's downsides, too, believe me, most importantly that the dialogue wasn't always very, well, dialogic. but when it worked it was good.

not a defense for marc cooper, alas, who is one of those people who continually disappoint.

-- http://www.brainmortgage.com/ (an echo chamber)

Among medieval and modern philosophers, anxious to establish the religious significance of God, an unfortunate habit has prevailed of paying to Him metaphysical compliments.

- Alfred North Whitehead