[lbo-talk] Saved by the carrot...

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Tue May 3 16:09:04 PDT 2005

Two stories caught my eye in the last few days. One was about a couple of teenagers, blown off Florida's coast, who had managed to survive for six days on jellyfish and seawater, and who had been rescued, according to the boys and their family, because of God, his angels, .....and a passing fishing boat. The other story concerned a cousin of riverbend's who had narrowly missed being blown up by a car bomb because he had turned back at the last moment to run an errand for his mother -- buying some carrots. His survival was chalked up to the fortuitous intervention of carrots: "he was saved by the carrots," everyone exclaimed.

This is all anecodtal of course. But the cultural differences exposed by these stories were interesting. God-fearing Muslims crediting carrots; secular Americans thanking God and his angels. Then, I realized, that in a country where bombs rain daily, it may be becoming clear to everyone that God has nothing to do with any of it, and that it's carrots (dumb luck) that may save your mortal hide. I think this latter intepretation makes more sense. It's also this kind of thinking that probably prevented my becoming an evolutionary psychologist.

Joanna