[lbo-talk] evo psych: balderdash

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed May 4 11:48:59 PDT 2005

Overlimit, last post:

Charles:

Yes, Levi-Strauss points to incest taboo as universal. I'm not sure if I understand your placement of the explanation as "biological" or "cultural", but isn't Levi-Strauss' explanation cultural in _The Elementary Structures of Kinship_ ? He says the incest taboo develops because marrying "out" of the group is the basis for forming alliances with other groups. If a group marries inward, it will shrivel _socially_. Exogamy is socially, not biologically, caused.

---

I thought he viewed ir problematically? You're the anthro guy -- I defer to you.

(Don't mammals generally avoid intercourse with littermates?)

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

Discover Yahoo! Use Yahoo! to plan a weekend, have fun online and more. Check it out! http://discover.yahoo.com/