[lbo-talk] evo psych: balderdash

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Wed May 4 11:50:22 PDT 2005

> Incest.

That's it? Why do you need EP to explain that? Explaining something that everybody already knows, and which has little to do with how people and societies function is pretty thin soup.

And, while we're at it, what does the life instinct have to do with evolution? All humans want to stay alive and to avoid having malformed children. But evolution is all about the adaptation of species to changing environments. Observing that we all hate dying and suffering is also pretty damned thin soup, if evolution is what you aim to explain.