[lbo-talk] Re: alt-porn & explicit content

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 4 19:40:47 PDT 2005

> jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net wrote:
>
> > Worrying that people in the porn industry are victims is not exactly the same
> > as expressing "hostility to sexual preference". While I disagree with Leigh that
> > all people in the industry are victims, the industry is heavy with people who
> > could be characterized as such and imagining that all or even most of the
> > workers are there solely as a form of their individual sexual expression seems
> > naïve.
>
> It's really curious that left wing prudes mask their ignorance about
> people who make porn by rehashing the tired arguments of the right wing.
> Isn't it odd that it's acceptable to talk about sex workers as "victims"
> whereas other kinds of workers are not labeled "victims." Are
> autoworkers victims? Unionized food industry workers?
>
> The big myth about the sex industry is that most of its workers are
> "victims" or are unwilling workers. Of course, like any other type of
> wage job, there are plenty of people who don't like doing it. This is
> what we call exploitation by capitalism. At the same time, much of porn
> these days is produced by people who enjoy doing it, ranging from people
> who would do it without getting paid, to those folks who see the work as
> better than "acceptable" work.
>
> Chuck0

Thanks for telling me what you thought I said. It was illuminating. It might be compelling if it coincided with what I actually wrote.

Yes, all wage slaves are exploited so lets get that out of the way first.

The porn industry does contain an exceptionally large number of women who have been victimized sexually while children or young adults. If the fact that these women were victimized had absolutely no bearing on their decision to do this type of work then this industry would, per worker, have no more victims than any other industry. This is demonstrably not so.

Notice that this does not say that many sex workers don't enjoy their work.

Notice also that I do not say most sex workers are unwilling workers in the industry.

Please read this again just for clarification Chuck since I don't want to write again to help you figure out what I actually wrote vs. what you pulled out of your ass.

Which left wing prudes rehash right-wing arguments about sex workers as victims but don't find it acceptable to label other workers as such? If you are accusing me of that then you are demonstrating once again that you really haven't the slightest idea what you're prattling on about.

You sure beat the shit out of that straw-man Chuck. Want to take a crack at what someone actually wrote in this thread next?

What is really curious that self-righteously transgressive and hip anarchists either cannot read what is before them or would rather construct straw-men to pulverize than discuss what's on the table.

John Thornton