[lbo-talk] Re: alt-porn & explicit content

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 4 21:26:02 PDT 2005

> jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net wrote:
>
> > The porn industry does contain an exceptionally large number of women who
> > have been victimized sexually while children or young adults. If the fact that
> > these women were victimized had absolutely no bearing on their decision to do
> > this type of work then this industry would, per worker, have no more victims
> > than any other industry. This is demonstrably not so.
>
> Citations? Did you get this canard off the Family Research Council website?
>
> Chuck

If you show me yours, I'll show you mine : )

This is what my SO has on the shelf here at home that I've actually read. Much more here that I haven't and likely won't make the time to read. I have never been to the Family Research Council website. If these sources are tainted with right-wing propaganda I certainly missed it but I suppose it is possible. Why don't you read them and let me know.

"Sexual Assault in the Lives of Urban Sex Workers: A Descriptive and Comparative Analysis" 2004

Contributors: Janice Du Mont EdD, Research Scientist, Centre for Research in Women's Health of the Sunnybrook and Women's College Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, Ontario

Margaret J McGregor MD, MHSc, Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Family Practice of the University of British Columbia and Physician Examiner, British Columbia Women's Sexual Assault Service

"Good Girls/Bad Girls: Feminists & Sex Trade Workers Fact to Face" 1987 Laurie Bell ed.

"Sex Work: Writings by Women in the Sex Industry" 1987 Priscila Alexander ed.

"Prostitition, Feminism, & Critical Praxis, Professional Prostitutes" 1998 Dr. Maggie O'Neill

Now it's your turn. Do you practice being so childish or it a gift?

John Thornton