[lbo-talk] Chip Berlet in the news

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Thu May 5 08:04:29 PDT 2005

Jeez, Doug, first off I don't use words like incommensurability.

I was once lecturing to a large section class at the University of Illinois on the problems posed by literal belief in demonic conspiracies. I asked a few questions and asked for a show of hands. It was clear that some students held that belief through their conservative Christian fundamentalism. Some students jeered, but I suggested that was not appropriate in a classroom. Beliefs are to be discussed and examined, but not jeered.

Then I had a dialog with one student who had indicated he held those beliefs. I got him to admit that he thought--given my politics and ideas--that I was in service to the devil. I said I understood that he might believe that, and he had a right to believe that, but what if he was wrong? Because if he was wrong, then he not only might be closing himself off from ideas that might help him grow intellectually, but was also demonizing me in a way that assumed that I was not a proper citizen, which easily leads to assuming I should have no rights.

After the class several students came up to me and thanked me for being so civil, and modelling a type of democratic style of intellectual discourse.

That was my success that day. I have no idea what happened with the specific student with whom I had interacted. But by being respectful, a lot of students saw the dilemma, rather than me verbally beating up on a person of faith for fundamentalist beliefs.

:-)

-Chip

From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org on behalf of Doug Henwood Sent: Thu 5/5/2005 10:44 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] Chip Berlet in the news

Chip Berlet wrote:

>Chucky,
>
>Thanks for making my point!
>
>Gotta love ya...

Chip, how do you engage with people who believe in the literal existence and daily influence of Satan? Aren't there issues of incommensurability?