[lbo-talk] Re: alt-porn & explicit content

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Thu May 5 09:11:35 PDT 2005

Dear List:

Leigh writes:

> I'm acutely aware of the foibles of the
computer industry but there's no way around the issue(yet), however, we *can* control our sex drives in relation to causing damage to society

What specific damage do our sex drives cause?

> "keeping it in our pants" is do-able, at
least once we get beyond.... 19 years old?

Why should we keep it in our pants? What harm is there is sex?

> OK, so what about the thousands of other
people that are being "screwed"(sic) by the sex industry?

We should work to make that industry more worker friendly. Unions for sex workers would be a great start. Also, the repeal of laws criminalizing sex work. Part of the exploitation of sex workers occurs because of oppressive sex legislation.

> I'm supposed to pander to your friends while
people all over the world do this because they have no other options? How callow and shallow.

Workers all over the world are forced to work in factories at low wages because there are no other options. Should we shut down factories in this country as well?

> Sometimes you just have to shut the M/F down
to fix the problem, but you seem to think(along with others) that a 16 year old junkie girl doesn't deserve a chance to do something else, she should just learn to enjoy... while it doesn't aversely affect you and yours.

And I posted this when? Is it in the archives? Please critique what I say and not not what you imagine I say.

> What branch of Buddhism do you study Brian?
You seem to have some serious misconceptions about the first tenet. Do no harm.

Tendai. Imposing limits on sexual expression causes harm. Facilitating sexual expression and helping people engage in non-harmful sex is helpful. Again, you seem to be conflating the evils of sex work under capitalism with the (supposed) evils of sex under any system.

> Me: And these self-destructive tendencies are
(specifically)? Also, are these terms and conditions limited to the production of porn?

> Leigh: Don't waste my time. Think outside your
own box.

Ah, no answer.

> I do... When they abuse a high percentage of their
workers.

Great. Then help reform the sex industry and make sex work a model all workers would want to follow in their own lives (unless you feel there is something inherently wrong with sex work). Also, work to repeal anti-sex legislation where you live. It is hard for workers to forms unions and demand their rights when the work they do is criminalized.

> It just about *your* acquaintances, and what *you*
consider best.

I merely point to them as a positive way that sex work can be conducted and one that leftists should advocate for on a wide scale. Your proposal to shut all sex work down is just crazy.

> Get a bigger world...

I have a very large world. It is yours that seems to be circumscribed by some very deep anti-sex ideas and feelings.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister