[lbo-talk] Re: alt-porn & explicit content

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 13:23:18 PDT 2005

> Are you proving my point here? Would you ever
> seriously become a sex
> working-class prostitute on the street? I severely
> doubt it, despite your
> joke about execs.

I also wouldn't go to work for Purdue in a chicken slaughterhouse or Nike in a Vietnamese shoe factory either. And lots of people wouldn't take my job for anything despite the money and the private office.

> As Doug says, we're miles away from testing who'd
> choose sex work if it were
> a truly humane and free choice. I don't foreclose
> that option now or ever.
> But it's this kind of talk about "values" that helps
> keep us in the
> political ghetto. Who the hell wants to tell or
> hear that all prostitutes
> are just Joe and Jill Sixpacks like the rest of us?

Hmm. well, what are they, then?

> BTW, what percentage of even glamorous porn stars
> are doped up?

As opposed to most actors? Lawyers? (Alchohilsim is endemic in the profession, and I am on anti-depressants.) Jenna Jame, apparently a big porn star, has a new bio out, saw it in a book store, haven't read it. Might look at it after this discussion

What's
> their life expectancy? On-the-job safety level?
> How many end up sorry they
> did it? Again, I'd bet it's off the charts, up
> their with the timber
> industry, or past...

There's probably a risk of STD, which I recall it weas a big dealw hen some stars became HIV + a while ago, suggesting that was unusual. In the biz, the stars are box office and to be protected. Steeetwalkers area nother story. In Holland, and Nevada, where prostitution is legal, I bet it is a different story.

As for "sorry they did it" -- how many of us are happy with the career choices life has handed us?