[lbo-talk] If Blair wins, what conclusions should be reached?

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 03:41:44 PDT 2005

Michael Pollak:

...the relevant measure under the current British set-up is not whether Labor wins, but whether it loses a sizeable amount of its majority. If it does, it will be universally interpreted in Britain as a damning verdict on the war and the lying about it. And it wouldn't be surprising if the consequence was that Blair was dumped by his party in a few months and replaced by Gordon Brown.

=============================

Interesting.

And it now appears, according to multiple accounts (including the BBC report excerpted below) that the loss of a *sizable percentage* of his majority has indeed happened.

Of course, we'll have to wait and see if he finishes his term or, as you say, is replaced.

In the meantime I expect some amount of chest thumping from Tony's Washington friends who will no doubt spin his return to office as a victory for the square jawed, anti-terror coalition that's been such a smashing success thus far (cue Condi Rice to deliver one of her *freedom* speeches).

.d.

Blair heads for historic victory

Mr Blair pledged to respond "sensibly and wisely" to the result, which the BBC predicts will see his majority cut from 167 in 2001 to 66.

The Conservatives have gained several target seats on large swings from Labour, mostly in the South East.

The Lib Dems have also made big inroads on Labour majorities and won 10 seats so far from Labour.

Speaking as he was returned on an increased majority in Sedgefield, Mr Blair said it was clear that "the British people wanted to return a Labour government but with a reduced majority".

He said Labour had to "focus on the things that matter" such as the NHS, jobs and law and order.

LATEST RESULTS

He added: "I know too that Iraq has been a divisive issue in this country but I hope now that we can unite again and look to the future - there and here."

Chancellor Gordon Brown said the party would "listen and learn", a reflection according to the BBC's Political Editor Andrew Marr, of his disappointment with the party's performance so far.

Sunderland South was the first seat to declare, with a win for Labour's Chris Mullin, in what the returning officer is claiming was a record time.

Tories' smiling

There has been a 5% swing to the Conservatives in London, where the party has unseated schools minister Stephen Twigg, who famously snatched the seat from Tory Michael Portillo in 1997.

The Tories have also gained Shipley from Labour, unseating junior minister Christopher Leslie, and taken Newbury from the Lib Dems.

[...]

full at --

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/vote_2005/frontpage/4513605.stm >