[lbo-talk] Make Capitalism Gay

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri May 6 08:12:25 PDT 2005

>[lbo-talk] Labor victory in the UK...
>Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
>Fri May 6 03:38:37 PDT 2005
>
>Not that the situation wouldn't have been worse, if the Tories had
>triumped. Pity that the workers are basically left with worser and
>worser choices at the polls in most all bourgeois democracies.

"HOW TO VOTE in next week's general election is easy. If you want a Labour government, vote Liberal Democrat. If you want a Conservative government, vote Labour. If you want a Liberal Democrat government, vote Tory. Recite that every morning for a week" (Simon Jenkins, "For red, vote yellow. For blue, vote red. For yellow, vote blue. Got it?" <http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1059-1586733,00.html> 27 Apr. 2005). According to the Jenkins formula, the British electorate ended up with a Conservative government.

It occurs to me that the oppositions that did beat the ruling pro-war parties (in Spain and Italy) incorporated a clearly progressive gay political agenda, unlike the oppositions that continued to lose (in the US, the UK, Australia, Japan, and South Korea). If electoral parties on the left have to push (the SP in Spain) or live with (the Refondazione in Italy) neoliberal capitalism, the least they ought to do is to make capitalism gay. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Monthly Review: <http://monthlyreview.org/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>