[lbo-talk] Re: alt-porn & explicit content

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Fri May 6 10:59:05 PDT 2005

I don't think that's what she's saying either. I think she's saying we should refrain from too much breezy liberation talk about a practice that is currently such a troubled reality. Prostitution, as now practiced, hurts lots of people, mostly women. In many cases, it's a sign of desperation, not a pristine middle-class lifestyle choice.

But, to me, the main point is that, at a time when the left is puny and confused and derided, making liberation for "sex workers" a big topic is politically suicidal. 5% of the population would react positively. A huge percentage will just laugh and use it as a reason to ignore whatever else we say.

Besides, the best thing we can do to give whores better lives is to give them more choices and bargaining power by fighting for jobs programs and health care.