[lbo-talk] Re: alt-porn & explicit content

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Fri May 6 11:37:57 PDT 2005

Dennis Claxton wrote that:

>Joanna wrote:

>>Presumably, there would be some choice about partners, or we would all
>>call it obsessive, but still not prostitution.

>This assumes prostitutes don't have any choice about clients. When
>prostitution is criminalized that's true more often than it should be, but
>even then not always. But if we're talking about sex work, with the
>emphasis on work, then you should have the "right to refuse service to
>anyone" just like at the diner. And if there's trouble you call the cops.

It doesn't work like that, even in places where it's legal. Like truckdriving, if you start turning down the "loads", the "company" stops calling you.

One night a few years ago I was out at a local club to see a live band that will remain nameless, but well known in blues circles.

There was a women sitting nearby, nursing her drink, when a man walked up and started giving her instructions on which band member she was going to "service".. She said quite plainly, "But I don't want to do him!" loud enough for me to easily hear over the music, and after a few seconds of hushed argument, he walked away.

She just sat there with any remnant of a smile wiped from her face, and after a minute or two, I walked over and smiled politely, and asked her if she was OK.

She replied quietly, "Yeah.. yeah... I'm OK", and gave me a small weak smile.

Right... I went back to my table, called the waitress over and ordered the girl whatever she was drinking... she was going to "need" it.

That's the life of a "mid-priced" prostitute.

Leigh