[lbo-talk] Re: alt-porn & explicit content

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri May 6 15:22:59 PDT 2005

Michael Dawson wrote:

>In the case of just closing down jails with no other social changes, it's also damned stupid and even murderous.

And who suggested that? The current system is worse than damned stupid and even murderous. Arguing that it should be abolished is to my mind a very effective way of changing the idea that prison is something we can't live without. Angela Davis purposely chose the term abolition because of its resonance with the abolitionist movement against slavery, another institution that used to seem part of the natural order of things.