[lbo-talk] Re: alt-porn & explicit content

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Fri May 6 22:08:29 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood takes a potshot, and misses!

> Leigh Meyers wrote:
>
>> That's the life of a "mid-priced" prostitute.
>
> Clearly she needs to be rescued by an eavesdropping hippie.
>
> Doug

I'm going to try to avoid being rude.

No No No... One of *my* ethical tenets is never wake up next to a person who, smiling or not, says...

"Hi Honey... What's *your* name?".

I go to bars to listen to music that I couldn't see in a non-drinking venue, and drink coffee, and dance.

'Bout the same as when I was doing pro audio at the local clubs, except I can dance without having to keep one eye on the equipment, and I still know many of the people who work at the clubs, from management down to the barmaids.

Any one of them would give me ... 10... 15 seconds+-... to thug-a-pimp, if the need arose, and they most likely would "forget" to call the police til I was Looooong gone. I'd hear about it later... so I'd worry about it later.

But the situation would never have arisen, because by the time that woman is sitting at that table, and the "man" tells her what to do, she no longer uses the word "no" with any expectation that it will make a difference... it's just another thing said that is ignored... date rape as a way of life that also pays, so to speak.

Does that mean I can't be human and ask if she's OK?

She was ok with that... she knew she was overheard... by more people than just me, and I hoped it was some comfort for her to know that someone noticed, and cared enough to ask... Why do you assume ulterior motives?

Explain, cynic... Actually, don't. Unless you feel I'm incorrect in assuming that it's probably because you hang with business people who make their living by preying on the weakness of others, and you have come to believe that all people are equally lacking in ethics and grace.

Herbert said it best... about abolishing "...such particular things as: Business, Politics, Exploitation and Poverty."

Ethics killers... each and every one.

The porn and prostitution industry currently contains all of those elements and it's way past time to shut the M/F down, just like Peabody's coal mine. Although I'd suspect some on this list would compromise their way to insignificance on a mine closure (as long as you and yours weren't being stricken by black lung) because of [enter rationale here].

Leigh