[lbo-talk] From failed, surreal dreams to a plague of fantasies

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 22:46:36 PDT 2005

No, I wasn't talking about anyone here specifically, though I dunno, Leigh might not be mind being grouped with the MacDworkinites, apaologies if s/he would.

Most porn is dreck. That doesn't make porn special. Most of everything is dreck. Although I am not an especially knowleageable analyst of porn, I doubt that, apart from being more industrialized and lest artistically crafted, the current lot more misogynistic or anti-humane than some of the classic stuff I still find to be a real turn on, such as Story of O. Anyone who knows that story will knwo what I mean. But others will know more about what's available than I.

However, I still think that porn is a phenomenon that requires analysis and thought first before we get around to reflexive condemnation. E.g., Story of O, though artistic, is as morally appalling in its way as Birth of a Nation (another morally bankrupt masterpiece). Why it is still the stuff of fantasy for people who'd be appalled by even being offered the opportunity to act in the way suggested is something that calls for saying more than jsut that men are scum, or there are scummy corners in even nice guys, etc. Kipnis is a good place to start thinking about this.

However, whatever the current crop of stuff, you'll have to pry my Bettie Page pix out of my cold dead fingers.

jks