[lbo-talk] Stop Labeling and Start Organizing!

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sat May 7 02:41:19 PDT 2005

> Chip Berlet wrote:
>
>>Why would an organizer start out by offending half their potential
>>audience with language that is abrasive?
>
> Would it have been ok to call racist Southern whites in the Jim Crow
> era racist thugs? If someone holds an offensive, reactionary, or
> ludicrous set of beliefs, can't we call them offensive, reactionary,
> or ludicrous? A lot of them sure aren't very considerate of us.

Jesus Christ, we aren't a bunch of church ladies!

Whatever happened to the spirit of the 1960s when people called the police pigs and so on? If the conservatives go around calling us names, the least we can do is to tell them to fuck off.

Chuck

***********************************

A friend of mine vents over Bruce Springstein issuing his new Christian albumn:

"As heads is tails, just call me Lucifer, 'cause I'm in need of some restraint!" I'm afraid sir Mick has made some redemptive noises also.

NPR this morning had a bit on christian law schools while Kansas schools are revisiting "intelligent design," (if it was intelligent why did it take 14.5 BILLION years? That's retarded design!). What's next? Geo-centric universe? Flat earth?

There was more coverage of the pope than coverage of Monica's knee pads. NPR story today: some bar hag in the south has a tattoo of his popeness on her leg. "Her priest approves," the npr presenter gushed. It would be news if he burned it off with a blowtorch. But for npr it's just more of a constant stream of religion. What ever happened to "fact based" journalism?

Did you here about the new pope of the corporation for public broadcasting? He's the former head of Voice of Amerika for Reagan, the lying scum that dished out the contras, Granada, Panama, how many others? (Maybe he wasn't there for ALL that shit.) With all the micro-scandal on govt-sponsored news stories planted in the otherwise "innocent" media, the planted "newsman" at Bush's (thankfully) few press conferences--just how far does the neo-con mandate go?

The penetration of religion into all aspects of spectacular life is nothing less than the irrational triumphant. Sixty years after the death of Hitler the peasantry is again sharpening their pitch forks and dipping their sponge mops in hog tallow. Was Weimar [the capital of pre-Nazi Germany] this bad? Thomas Frank wonders "what the fuck happened to Kansas?" (you know, that book where he wonders why people vote for Bush and godliness and get their granny's pensions cut, or vote for the "sanctity of the embryo" and have their kids shot in Iraq.)

Speaking of Iraq, it was in Ur or some place that the patriarch Abraham had his vision about offing his poor son Isaac. Apparently it was quite the thing back then to sacrifice your first born, after the women did all the work of getting it born in the first place. Anyway, psychiatric science might see Abe as a delusional paranoiac, religion sees him as a prophet. But fortunately he had another delusion telling him to spare the boy. Faith-based reasoning sees the virtue of absolute obedience, ESPECIALLY to irrational orders! Three religions claim this guy as a founder! And they all have nuclear weapons and are at war with each other!

********************************* Salud friends, wherever you are.

Mike B)

****************************************************************** Who me? Click here: http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal

Yahoo! Mail Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour: http://tour.mail.yahoo.com/mailtour.html