[lbo-talk] From failed, surreal dreams to a plague of fantasies

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sat May 7 11:07:56 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> <donning moderator's cap>
>
> Chuck I know Dennis, and he's not an ignorant, reactionary moralist.
> He's generalizing about the state of porn today, to which there are
> doubtless exceptions, not making a timeless statement about Porn Itself.
>
> <doffing cap>

Dennis is making a broad generalization based on his own tastes. Ignoring my own tastes, I would argue that there is some amazing porn being created these days. The Internet and cheap technology has opened up the genre to millions of people who are taking advantage of this opportunity to explore and enjoy their sexual interests. If anything, the Internet has been very helpful in breaking porn free of the corporate porn industry.

Susie Bright was in Kansas City a few weeks ago and she talked about the current state of erotica and porn. She talked about how she's been asking students where they first came into contact with pornography. For many years students would always say Playboy. These days young people are divoering porn through the Internet, cable, and many others sources. We are free of Hugh Hefner's boring fantasyland of air-brushed, skinny 18-year-old blondes.

Chuck