[lbo-talk] Marriage and Prostitution

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun May 8 11:34:44 PDT 2005

On Sun, 8 May 2005, joanna wrote:

> The way I read it, the prostituting of mind, body, soul, heart,
> whatever....whether in a brothel, factory, board room, etc., is not value
> neutral. Whether workers or sex workers are unionized or not, prostitution
> and exploitation is still taking place.

Yes, that's the crucial point I've been making in my posts. We agree completely. Prostitution is not the problem; capitalist economic exploitation is the problem.

> Unions allow workers to organize and gives them a means to make their
> condition as good as possible within Capitalism, but it does not allow anyone
> to change the fundamentally alienating and prostituting nature of this
> system.

Yes, again, we agree completely. Unions are incremental improvements that help us to survive in a soul-eating economic system. They aren't the solution.

Also, perhaps I'm full of myself, but I think I made a valid point earlier: moralizing about one particular kind of wage labor is divisive (e.g., saying sex work "isn't peachy keen" rather than emphasizing that all wage labor is alienating). Am I full of shit? Is that trivial?

Miles