[lbo-talk] Re: Votes for anti-war Labour MP's

T Fast tfast at yorku.ca
Sun May 8 12:11:13 PDT 2005

Michael,

Before we go too far with this exercise we might want to consider a couple of points. In a parliamentary system there is effectively no way a pro labour but anti war voter can "punish" a pro war labour government. This means that need not be any connection between how one voted and their position on the war. That is Labour voters have to decide if they are motivated more by their anti war position than their pro-labour stance. Because in a parliamentary system a vote for an anti-war labour candidate is also a vote for Tony Blaire. In order to punish Blaire they also have to punish Labour .

Non aligned voters who may have voted for labour in the past but are willing to vote against labour on the issue of the war will most likely give their vote to the opposition parties and not to a labour MP even if that MP was against the war. So I don't see how the poll data will help us test your hypothesis (or my revised one). We would actually need poll data that asked about why people in particular ridings (polls) voted the way they did. So in a nutshell I think my original response to you also missed the mark.

Travis