[lbo-talk] Marriage and Prostitution

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon May 9 08:08:28 PDT 2005

snitsnat wrote:

>Oh, and also, I'd say it's vital to support unions for sex workers.
>One of the problems, as Carrol has alluded to, is that unionizing
>today is somewhat more difficult because you don't have the
>advantage of masses of people working in one plant.

And the $pread magazine gang says one of their major intentions is to create channels of communication among sex workers that don't exist now.

Biju Mathew's book Taxi, just coming out from The New Press, has a lot about how the Taxi Workers Alliance addressed and organized the thousands of drivers who spend a lot of time alone in their cars.

> As Yoshie, I think, pointed out, it's hard to get freelancers to
>unionize, though they see the advantages of it, because they are
>independent producers, often working out of their homes.

About 15 years ago, I was involved with the National Writers Union's attempt to organize the feelancers at The Village Voice. A natural audience you might think. So we did a survey of the freelancers to see how receptive to the idea they were, and Dan Lazare & I tabulated and analyzed the results. They weren't receptive at all - they liked writing for the Voice and were pleased with pay and working conditions - and we pretty much gave up on the effort.

Doug