[lbo-talk] Stop Labeling and Start Organizing!

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Mon May 9 08:08:29 PDT 2005

Hi,

If your goal is to have most people on the left simply write checks to the Democratic Party and liberal inside the beltway organizations, then keep using hyperbolic, abrasive, and innaccurate terms like fascist and zealot.

If you goal is building a mass progressive movement for social change, then starting out by offending some 35% of the U.S. population by calling them stupid names is probably not a good idea.

-Chip Berlet

From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org on behalf of Charles Brown Sent: Mon 5/9/2005 10:48 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] Stop Labeling and Start Organizing!

Stop Labeling and Start Organizing!

by Chip Berlet

-clip-

I think it's time to stop using phrases such as "religious political extremist" and "radical religious right." A lot of my friends and allies use this language, but what are friends for if they can't tell you when they think you are wrong? I also think that we should be asking folks in the Christian Right to stop pasting labels on those of us who are liberal or progressive. I'm an equal opportunity curmudgeon.

^^^^^^

Charles: It's not very likely that these fascistic-zealot folks are going to just do what you politely ask.