[lbo-talk] Marriage and Prostitution

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Mon May 9 10:06:11 PDT 2005

Miles Jackson wrote:

> Okay--mass media representations of women tend to support patriarchy.
> I think most of us agree on that. You did deftly change the subject,
> though; you didn't really respond to the content of my post. Again,
> accepting the cultural definition "sex work = bad person" reinforces
> capitalism by discouraging alliances among sex workers and other types
> of workers.

> Is that proposterous? Nonsensical? Naive?

No. It's not. But just as celebrating abortion is not the right move in support of feminism; neither is saying "sex work is just another job" ... because ultimately we don't all want to be whores of any stripe. Abortion is an unconditional right as is the right to organize workers and the right to work legally -- but there is a reason why we don't say to our teenage daughter, when she goes out on date: "Look honey, don't do anything you don't want to, unless he offers money."

Joanna