[lbo-talk] Marriage and Prostitution

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Mon May 9 13:18:57 PDT 2005

Access to abortion is good, and so are its medical providers. But that is not the same as saying abortion is good. To miss that point is to ghettoize yourself politically, as is talking about "sex workers" as if they're truck drivers or receptionists. You can do this if you want, but you will never succeed, and you will be squandering vital political credibility as you do it.

Empowering women means things like child stipends, increased school budgets, free universal pre-K/daycare, single-payer health insurance, SS credit for raising children, and campaigning for pay equity. Pretending that abortion politics somehow is a forerunner of these other things has simply been discredited by history. The point is to give women choices, resources, and respect, so that far fewer abortions are needed.

Joanna sees this. Why don't you, Ms. Prole? (What does an RN in SF make these days? It ain't minimum wage.)