[lbo-talk] Re: quote

Turbulo at aol.com Turbulo at aol.com
Mon May 9 13:58:45 PDT 2005

What's independent of each can't be independent of all. He commits a fallacy of composition. Our understanding of the interdependency of intentionality and action has come a long way since H&M. The rhetoric of 'behind the backs of the producers' is way overblown.

The collective result of individual actions can be unintended by any of the individual actors. If over the years each man hews him down a bough for firewood, the end result may be deforestation, making it impossible for anyone to light a fire.

Marx expands upon this notion in the German Ideology, where he says:

"And finally, the division of labor offers us the first example of how, as long as man remains in natural society, that is as long as a cleavage exists between the particular and the common interest, as long therefore as activity is not voluntary, but naturally divided, man's own deed becomes an alien power opposed to him, which enslaves him instead of being controlled by him.

"This crystallization of social activity, this consolidation of what we ourselves produce into an objective power above us, growing out of our control, thwarting our expectations, bringing to naught our calculations, is one of the chief factors in historical development up to now..." New York, 1960, pp. 22-23) -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20050509/fbd4d15b/attachment.htm>