[lbo-talk] Marriage and Prostitution

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Mon May 9 14:30:37 PDT 2005

---- Original Message ---- From: Michael Dawson To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 1:18 PM Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] Marriage and Prostitution

> Access to abortion is good, and so are its medical providers. But
> that is not the same as saying abortion is good. To miss that point
> is to ghettoize yourself politically, as is talking about "sex
> workers" as if they're truck drivers or receptionists. You can do
> this if you want, but you will never succeed, and you will be
> squandering vital political credibility as you do it.
>
> Empowering women means things like child stipends, increased school
> budgets, free universal pre-K/daycare, single-payer health insurance,
> SS credit for raising children, and campaigning for pay equity.
> Pretending that abortion politics somehow is a forerunner of these
> other things has simply been discredited by history. The point is to
> give women choices, resources, and respect, so that far fewer
> abortions are needed.
>
> Joanna sees this. Why don't you, Ms. Prole? (What does an RN in SF
> make these days? It ain't minimum wage.)

Absolutely... My eyes glazed over when Ex. giving head in the back seat of a car, was considered to be in the *same world* as working at a walmart, no matter how "value neutral" the economics of it are.

That "value neutral" approach is just one view of the world, and I'm pretty effin' sure it's not the view one sees when they are on their back... or or their knees.

Leigh