[lbo-talk] Marriage and Prostitution

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Mon May 9 16:25:30 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Your choice of words here suggests that you're viewing the prostitute
> as the prototype for all workers, not seeing the prostitute as an
> instance of the whole class of exploited workers.

I guess because I don't see prostitution as work that must be done. In any society, you have to build a bridge, teach skills, cure disease, dig graves, etc. Right now, the people who are doing these activities may not want to do them or may not want to do them in order to make some capitalist richer, but would still acknowledge that the work needs to be done. But prostitution is by definition sex for money, and I don't see that it's necessary to sell sex no matter what.

Joanna