[lbo-talk] You do realize, I hope, that religous expression isn't going anywhere...don't you?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue May 10 07:27:36 PDT 2005

Carl Remick wrote:

>>From: "Chip Berlet" <c.berlet at publiceye.org>
>>
>>Still tuned in.
>>
>>Agree totally.
>
>Fortunately the LBO list has no acquiescence bias. Mark me down as
>"disagree."

Mark me down as resisting the forced binary choice. I could certainly work with "people of faith" (and when did that phrase replace "religious people"?) on social justice or antiwar programs. But I'm not going to give up on believing that religion is a snare and a delusion. And while it's not going to go away, there are plenty of places in the world that are far more secular than the US, including most of the world's social democracies. There are complicated cause-effect interactions there, but while correlation doesn't imply causation, it does stoke some envy.

And, the secular share of the US pop has doubled over the last decade, and Gen Y is even more secular than the rest of us. Religion may not be going away, but there's some reason to believe it could be ebbing.

Doug