[lbo-talk] Congressional Black Caucus stands by Walmart

Tommy Kelly tkelly15450 at charter.net
Tue May 10 09:31:10 PDT 2005

http://www.hillnews.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/Frontpage/051005/cbc.htm l

CBC stands by Wal-Mart

By Hans <http://www.hillnews.com/thehill/export/TheHill/About/hans_nichols.html> Nichols

The Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) has flatly rejected a major labor union's call to cut ties to Wal-Mart lobbyists and executives who have been canvassing the Capitol in search of new friends and allies.

Black lawmakers say they will continue to listen to Wal-Mart - as they would any other group interested in building a relationship - and will not be bullied by what they regard as the Service Employees International Union's (SEIU) inappropriate attempt to "put the CBC in its place" with instructions to shun the world's largest employer.

This SEIU-CBC dispute comes at a time when Wal-Mart is significantly boosting its political contributions to Democrats.

In a letter sent to CBC last week, Ann Burger, SEIU's treasurer, stated, "The SEIU is expressing our displeasure that the Congressional Black Caucus is giving Wal-Mart an opportunity to fashion a false image that they are friends of African Americans and working people generally."

The letter lists of a litany of alleged labor misdeeds by Wal-Mart before reciting SEIU's records of improving wages and living standards for "people of color."

"That's the kind of economic development that we have always collaborated on with members of the CBC," wrote Burger.

Several black lawmakers took umbrage at the tone of SEIU's letter and warned it would sour their relationship with labor, with others saying they would continue to have an open door policy with both SEIU and Wal-Mart.

"The CBC has been one of the most loyal supporters of labor. But we reserve the right to have dialog with any company that's doing business in the African-American community," said Rep. Al Wynn (D-Md.)

Channeling Lord Palmertson, Wynn added, "We have no permanent friends, no permanent allies, only permanent interest." [Snip]