[lbo-talk] You do realize, I hope, that religous expression isn't going anywhere...don't you?

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Tue May 10 11:36:52 PDT 2005

Carl Remick:

> Sorry for repeating the story of the East Waynesville Baptist Church casting
> out its devils (Democratic voters). I did it because religion seems to
> consist mainly of endless iterations of the same dreary sacralized tribal
> lore, and -- since people of faith are thus apparently slow learners -- I
> thought it would be useful to point to this cautionary tale again.

More cautionary for the people who would use religion in such a crass manner. The reaction is only beginning. Many of the congregation's repubs and sympathizers with the folks who were excommuncated left in protest, and there's talk of relieving the pastor.

I think the pastor is doing Chip Berlet's work for him... getting the christians to look at who or what they think they are following/doing.

Give thanks and praise to the Most High JAH Rastafariiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii !

(I feel better now.)

Here's one editorial opinion from Tuscon Az:

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/index.php?page=opinion&story_id=051005b5_stanton&toolbar=print_story

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 Stanton: Infusing politics in church makes a toxic mix

BILLE STANTON

Billie Stanton's column appears on Tuesdays E-mail: bstanton at tucsoncitizen.com phone: 573-4664; fax: 573-4569

Vote Republican or repent! With that exhortation, a Baptist minister and his congregation booted three deacons and six others out of their little North Carolina church, prompting 40 more to leave in protest.

The bizarre case underscores the vulnerability of our long-treasured separation of church and state.

But it also begs the question of how such a church legitimately can claim to be a tax-exempt, 501(c)(3) organization under federal guidelines.

And it should give all churchgoers pause, whatever their politics. Are ministers leading congregations to worship God or President Bush?

Backpedaling furiously, the Rev. Chan Chandler later told an Asheville television reporter that his actions at East Waynesville Baptist Church "were not politically motivated."

But people at a church meeting the night of May 2, when Chandler called a vote to oust those recalcitrant Democrats, say otherwise.

Bill Rash, a 29-year church member, stayed through that meeting but later left the church. <more>