[lbo-talk] more on Graeber

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Wed May 11 14:27:06 PDT 2005

At 04:39 PM 5/11/2005, Chuck0 wrote:
>snitsnat wrote:
>
>>I mean, look, is there an anarchist theory of human nature/being?
>
>Yes. It's in our literature.

:) if anarchists have only one answer to this, then I'd say that you have
no answer at all. no group interested in social change ever agrees on this sort of thing.

>>Is there an anarchist position or positions on the relationship between
>>the individual and society. Do they put forth any ideas about how social
>>change works (or doesn't)?
>
>Of course!

so, what is it?

><...>
>I understand perfectly well how social change happens. My problem is that
>nobody listens to me. When I screamed two years ago that ANSWER would
>squander the anti-war movement's resources with ineffective rallies, I was
>labeled a sectarian. ANSWER got so mad at me that they spread rumors that
>I worked for the police.
>
>I told an anarchist friend the other day that I've been thinking about
>writing an essay titled "I told you so" which would once again go after
>the anti-war movement's mistakes and point out the answers that are
>sitting right there in the sunlight.

Well, hate to break it to you, but this isn't a theory about how social change happens or doesn't.

>I do, but nobody wants to listen to me. If I speak up on this list, people
>insult me personally. If I try and talk about these things with
>anarchists, they diss me as a liberal or a loud-mouthed white male.

:(

I listen to ya, I'm very sympathetic, having frequently argued that anarchist thought has some answers to how to proceed and that we should explore them systematically. Still, this stuff to which you refer isn't theorizing in the way I'm talking about.

I'm not being snotty, just clearing up a communication problem. Though, maybe I've misunderstood you.

kelley