[lbo-talk] An Appeal to the U.S. AntiwarMovementfor UnitedDemonstrations in the Fall

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 11 14:41:21 PDT 2005

Chuck0 wrote:

>As far as I'm concerned, the answers to the anti-war movement's
>failure are right in front of our noses.

I'm really struck by how similar this is to what Michael Pug just posted:

>Choice quote from Stalin, taken from an early chapter on , "cadres
>and heretics, " from Lewin, which highlights Uncle Joe's early
>Orthodox seminary training. Pg. 33, "For us objective difficulties do
>not exist. The only problem is cadres. If things are not progressing, or
>if they go wrong, the cause is not to be sought in any objective
>conditions, it is the fault of the cadres."

Yeah, so Ward C smiles when Americans ask him the "what is to be done?" question. And Chomsky gets all impatient, and basically says, there's all kinds of stuff to be done, you know what needs to be done. Oh really? Maybe this is just another aspect of American exceptionalism, but we have an extremely powerful ruling class and an atomized and demobilized population. Direct actions in an environment where at least a significant minority of the pop is sympathetic is very different from when it's a handful of activists with almost no popular support. We're at Square One, man. Just Do It isn't going to get you far, unless you want to do 10 years in a federal prison.

Doug