[lbo-talk] You do realize, I hope, that religous expression isn't going anywhere...don't you?

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed May 11 14:54:44 PDT 2005

>From: Jeffrey Fisher <jeff.jfisher at gmail.com>
>
>On 5/10/05, Carl Remick <carlremick at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Anything that can be done to minimize the role of religion in politics
>is
> > all to the good. Disputes driven by material concerns can be grubby and
> > rancorous, but ultimately they lend themselves to negotiated settlements
> > where each side gains something. Religious disputes, however, tend to
>be
> > zero-sum games where you either win or lose. This breeds vicious
> > antagonisms with often lethal results.
>
>this strikes me as a rather bizarre set of gross generalizations with
>not very much substance to back it up. additionally, it sure looks
>like you're making the battle over religion in the public sphere
>something which cannot be negotiated, a zero-sum, win-lose
>proposition. is that a religious attitude toward religion in the
>public sphere?

Sad to say, both religious expression and this thread aren't going anywhere.

Religion has fueled much of history's most celebrated slaughter: the medieval Crusades, the European Protestant-Catholic wars of the 16th-17th centuries, recent conflict between Hindus and Moslems on the Indian subcontinent, fighting between Buddhists and Hindus in Sri Lanka, the mishegaas that is Northern Ireland, etc. ad nauseam.

I am curious what evidence you would care to cite of religion's ability to promote universal understanding and peace.

Carl