[lbo-talk] An Appeal to the U.S. AntiwarMovementfor UnitedDemonstrations in the Fall

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Wed May 11 17:00:41 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood waits fr the workers

> Leigh Meyers wrote:
>
>> I disagree about messing up the supply chain... It's perhaps the
>> most effective
>> method of direct action, and worked like a charm for the Australian
>> dockworkers
>> to help crowbar Australia out of the Vietnam incursion.
>>
>> The SF Maritime Union was no slacker either, among others, like
>> protesters invading Dow Chemical... or freaks levitating the
>> Pentagon (while the MOBE marshaled)... those things also affected
>> the military's ability to function.
>
> Freaks levitating the Pentagon are one thing, but unions are another.
> Sure, unions could fuck up the war machine. That's a serious level of
> organization that comes with substantial popular backing. Get back to
> me when an American union is ready to take this route.
>
> Doug

The labor movement as the "vanguard"?

Sure...

And it's all supposed to hang fire till they all rise up in unison?

unh huh... (Leigh hums a few bars of the "Internationale")

I'll work with their kids, and let their kids work with them.

That's HOW you get popular backing. Because the parents *really* don't want their kids to despise them, and will do *anything*(like buy hundred dollar Nikes, or sign a petition) to prevent that.

Thanks for the motivational talk, let me know when "labor" whatever that means, "gets it together" about something besides fatter paychecks, better benefits and working conditions for themselves, then they *might* think about the plight of those "other" people, including Iraqis...

Get back to me when *that* happens, I'm busy putting ideas in young, impressionable Americans heads.

Leigh