[lbo-talk] You do realize

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Thu May 12 01:55:59 PDT 2005

On 5/11/05, uvj at vsnl.com <uvj at vsnl.com> wrote:

> The conflict in Sri Lanka is between Sinhala and Tamil speaking people. There is also a secondary conflict between Hindu Tamils and Muslim Tamils.

I'd also take a bit of an issue with Northern Ireland being included on this list. I don't disagree that religion "fueled" the conflict ... but it didn't do so in the same sense as it fueled the Crusades or the 16th-17th century European wars. The conflict in NI is essentially over national identity (Irish vs. British), not dogma (Catholic vs. Protestant); it's just that the one provides a closely accurate marker of the other. Take religion out of the equation entirely and there would still be a conflict in Northern Ireland.