[lbo-talk] An Appeal to the U.S. Antiwar Movement forUnitedDemonstrations in the Fall

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu May 12 11:55:33 PDT 2005

Carrol Cox wrote:

> There are very practical reasons for scheduling demos in the spring or
> fall. Washington D.C. (and many other cities) is utterly intolerable in
> the summer -- and in the winter -- ouch. I was once in a march in the
> Chicago Loop in -8 weather. It was not fun.

I wasn't aware that all of the families of those dead Iraqis were willing to wait until there was a beautiful day for us to protest on.

> Demos are in any case primarily a way to count noses (whether the count
> be small or large is irrelevant). The idiots (or Dem supporter) at BfPJ
> are correctly calling for local actions, but their failure to call a
> national action last year demoralized local efforts. And it really isn't
> worth arguing against those like Chuck 0 for whom politics seems to be
> merely a matter of self-expression and fuck everyone else.

You may not want to argue with me, but you are going to have to argue with me. I'm not shutting up or going away, in fact, I plan to be even more obnxious about the utter failures of the current antiwar "Movement."

Even if demos are a way to count noses and do other mild stuff, there are ways to organize mass demos without relying on the retarded strategy of protesting all of the time in WASHINGTON, DC. The mass protests in Washington are retarded for many reasons. The most important one is that Washington demos don't get much publicity. If you ain't competing with the Million Man March, forget about the coverage. Washington demos get even less coverage outside of town. Average working people tune out Washington demos as "something that happen all the time."

If you want to count noses, why doesn't UFPJ organize a mass demo in Chicago, Denver, or Dallas? A mass demonstration of 50,000 in Denver will get noticed. There are lots of union members near Chicago. A demonstration of 200,000 in Washington gets little coverage. I know because I was a Washington activist for many years.

Think outside the box people, even if you are sticking to mild tactics.

Chuck