[lbo-talk] OT: Need Intellectual Refresher

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri May 13 07:26:30 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On psychosocial stuff, some people think that if you find some
> neurochemical phenom associated with behavior or affect, you've
> identified the underlying cause. But it could be that experience
> affects the neurochemistry, and it's really an effect.

The "some people think" is probably (but not certainly) correct here, though I suspect that "some" is limited to people who read a couple AP stories on neuroscience in the local paper and propound on that basis.

In the given case, the correlation would be pretty meaningless, given the trillions of connections in the human brain. A pretty interesting interview with Steven Rose on this sort of thing was posted recently to the Science-for-the People list.

Carrol