[lbo-talk] NYC event

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri May 13 10:07:35 PDT 2005

"Complacent Nation" <nation at complacent.org> wrote: (yes, this is it. please forward widely)

Anti-ego, BassBot, Big Noise, Bike Cherry, Blackkat, Brooklyn Media Labs, Complacent Nation, Courage Promotions, C-Spot Designs, Disco Noir, Havoc Sound, House of Galore, The Hungry March Band, The Madagascar Institute, Nonsense NYC, Peripheral Media Projects, Rhythm Collective, Rude Mechanical Orchestra, SisterNYC, Soulartic Music,The Toyshop Collective, Vitamindevo and Waxyjax have come together to bring you the night you dream of.

First Warm Night

Saturday, May 14th 6:27pm sharp @ Chrystie St. and Houston St. in the park where 2nd Ave. begins Lower East Side (prepare to journey)

See the website for updated information, map and details: http://www.firstwarmnight.com

This is heat + hedonism.

This is a free, un-permitted, roving renegade explosion of music and performance, flaming hula-hoops, melting ice cream, wanton stilt walkers, delicate poster art, battling brass bands, renegade sound systems, fireworks and rockets, impulsive performance, canyons of concrete, shadows of steel, with the calm of the waterfront against a city of dreamers.

This is wicked + whimsy.

Dozens of dedicated event makers have worked to lay the groundwork. But this night is about you. Bring your performance, your music, your boom box and bass drums, bring your fire sticks, your stilts, public poetry and private passions, bring your wicked, breathe your whimsy, you are the performer and this is your stage. This is the night you dream of.

This is risk + revelry.

This event is unpermitted. This is an open celebration of liberation, an escape of the clamp-down, a reclaiming of streets, a making of mischief and the waking of the wild season. It's been a long dark winter - this is our night to burn bright.

With that you should keep these IMPORTANT issues in mind:

- Call the info line for updated information throughout the event. The number is: 212.252.2051

- Sign up at the website for text messages to keep abreast of changes.

- Pay attention to coaxers wearing wings, they know where to go and will be guiding you.

- This is your event as it is ours, this is a community effort. Watch out for yourself and the people around you.

- We have legal support if anything goes awry.

- Leave no trace. Keep all garbage with you and dispose of it in the proper place.

You need to bring: Metrocards, small gifts and tradeables, wings, *your own drinks*, body paint, fireworks and rocketships, water, the fire inside you, the heat between us, the warmth on the street to ignite, to explode.

On Weather: We have been watching the weather reports incredibly closely for the past several weeks. All detailed weather reports say that Saturday will be clearing with a small chance of thunderstorms. We like static, we like electricity, but all in moderation. We feel in our centers that the weather is going to clear into a gorgeously warm night with a low in the 60's, the first weekend night it will be that warm. However, we have no control.

If the weather takes a turn for the ugly, for the torrential or for the apocalyptic, call the info line (212.252.2051) check your text messages, and check your e-mail in case of major changes to our plan of action.

Bring a jacket, this is an *all night event* and the heat of our Saturday will cool into a crisp Sunday morning.

http://www.firstwarmnight.com

This is it. This is the night you dream of.