[lbo-talk] An Appeal to the U.S. Antiwar Movement

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Fri May 13 10:15:38 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wants anarchists to seek "popular support"

> I'd say that the fact that you think you could make a dent
> in the war machine with a handful of anarchists utterly lacking in
> popular support trying to disrupt the supply chain suggests that a
> little more talking might be helpful.
>
> Doug

About "Popular" support, and what it means.

Popular support... That mean no one flips the tv channel when the story runs @ 10, right?

"Popular support" is what the person who reduces the price of gasoline for the American public has.

[Keep driving your prius... it's as futile an attempt as any I've ever seen to cling to a dying way of life. It won't delay the inevitable "spiral in" for even a microsecond, but it sure makes the totally ineffectual *feel* effectual]

"Popular" is having your cake *and* eating it too.

(I'll have more STUFF please, it's the American Way[tm])

"Popular" is NOT spending a night or two (or more) in jail for standing up for what you believe is right.

[Unhhh... My boss just wouldn't understand why I missed that project deadline for some idealist BS.]

Popular" is a word I've never, ever heard used by the American media to describe an anti-imperialist, or an anti-war movement in the US.

The US Vietnam anti-war movement was never described as "Popular" ... EXCEPT in retrospect.

Fuck Popular...

Leigh