[lbo-talk] An Appeal to the U.S. Antiwar Movement

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Fri May 13 11:55:17 PDT 2005

---- Original Message ---- From: Doug Henwood To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Friday, May 13, 2005 10:25 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] An Appeal to the U.S. Antiwar Movement

> Leigh Meyers wrote:
>
>> Fuck Popular...
>
> You like living at the margins, don't you?
>
> Doug

Who's marginal?

Right now, US society is marginal in relation to the rest of the world's material needs, if not collective desires.

But in context to me personally:

Absolutely.

It's called living "outside the box".

Most folks can't even *think* outside of it, no less live outside it. That's why psychotherapy is so popular.

My life as direct action, sometimes more effective than others, but who's batting 1000 in the right livelihood department, and according to whom?

Of course I'm OK with living how I do, or I'd find some other way to live.

I feel very fortunate, and not prone to compromise.

But I know how to compromise... Just like an executive at GM or any major Corp... I take back the "fuck popular".

Fuck the "box".

It must be destroyed, and the people inside liberated.

Is that good for you?

"There is a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious -- makes you so sick at heart that you cannot take part.

YOU CANNOT EVEN *PASSIVELY* TAKE PART.

And you’ve got to put your bodies on the gears and upon the wheels and levers, upon all of the apparatus and you have to make it stop and you have got to indicate to the people who run and own it, that unless you are free, the machine will be prevented from working at all."

Mario Savio October 1, 1964

That's been my sentiment for a loooong loooong time. And I'm "...indicat(ing) to the people who run and own it,"

Leigh