[lbo-talk] An Appeal to the U.S. Antiwar Movement

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 13 12:04:14 PDT 2005

> Doug Henwood:
>
> > I bet it'd be easier to have American workers load war cargo for
> > free than it would to have them refuse on anti-imperial principle.
> > Maybe I'm wrong.
>
> You're wrong, actually. Given the right circumstances, the ILWU would do
> it -- though the ILA would not. But the real issue in this discussion is
> that workers would NOT follow the call if it were put out by people like
> Chuck. I mean, let's cut to the chase.

> John Lacny
> http://www.johnlacny.com

Lets cut to the real chase then. I have no doubt they won't follow ChuckO so why don't you convince them? I am completely serious. If you can't do this (no harm in that, not everyone is a leader or organizer) then who could convince them to and how could it be accomplished? If you really believe that the ILWU could be persuaded to participate in something like this why don't you lay out a real strategy to make that happen instead of just writing silly put downs of ChuckO. If you can't work up a viable plan to make this happen work with someone who can. Put this list in touch in someone who can make this happen and support the idea.

I'll certainly offer to help but realistically I don't see myself leading anything like this primarily because labor leaders are not going to listen to a currently unemployed ex-food store owner and artist. I'm not in their loop and they aren't inviting me in any time soon. I am really busy right now with a new business venture but I'd be willing to do some art work and/or printing gratis if needed. People can generally best help within the bounds of the skills they have.

Unless of course the ILWU really wouldn't participate in something like this and your email was just another shot at ChuckO. Rather than claiming the fact that labor won't follow ChuckO is the real issue in this discussion why don't you make the real issue helping people get this accomplished?

John Thornton